These instructions should work for other versions of Ubuntu, as well as Ubuntu-based distros such as Mint.
1. Install p7zip. It's needed for PlayOnLinux.
sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
2. Install the latest version of PlayOnLinux.
Caution: At the time of writing, the version of PlayOnLinux in the Ubuntu repos is out of date. If you have that version, don't worry. Follow these installation instructions and your PlayOnLinux will be upgraded.
In Ubuntu 12.10, installation or updating is this easy:
Setup key with:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys E0F72778C4676186
To setup the repository and install playonlinx:
sudo wget http://deb.playonlinux.com/playonlinux_quantal.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/playonlinux.list sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install playonlinux
If you are using some other distro, just visit the PlayOnLinux download website and follow the instructions for your distro.
2. Run PlayOnLinux, click Install, and enable Testing (by clicking the Include: Testing checkbox next to the search field).
Start typing "League of Legends" in the search field. League Of Legends should appear in the list. Select it and click Install in the bottom right.
There might be a few message boxes that let you know that the program you are about to install is in testing, just say Ok to everything.
3. Select the "Download the program" option
4. PlayOnLinux will download the LoL installer and run it. It'll take a while to download. Go through the install wizard and make sure to install LoL in the default location, and at the end, DO NOT have the "Launch League of Legends" checkbox ticked.
5. Run LoL! A couple tips:
- The default server was EU West for me. Make sure to change the server to yours, or you won't be able to log on.
- I recommend playing a custom game alone before playing a real game with others players. This will give you a chance to fiddle with the Video options and get them right.
I tested this with a ThinkPad X230 with an Intel HD Graphics 4000, and League of Legends worked well (about 30 fps) in full-screened mode and most graphics options turned to the lower end. Very playable. I also tested it with a ThinkPad X200 but found the fps too low to play well. Gl hf!